Shrigley Association Reunion 2011

(with an update on recent developments)
The last formal Re-Union of the Shrigley Association, as currently constituted, took place on the weekend of 16th-18th September 2011. As usual, events were held both at the Shrigley Hotel and at Savio House. Happily, a good many members who had been unable to attend in recent years joined us for this ‘grand wake’. Old friendships were renewed and re-inforced and, while greatly enjoying each other’s comradeship, we put remaining Association business safely to bed, although inevitably there are one or two matters for surviving Committee members to tidy-up after the final AGM. Reports below from Mike Kilduff and Paul Barnes provide further details of our weekend programme. You will also find on the website a copy of the Minutes of the AGM. So I shall confine myself to commenting on the AGM and our efforts since then to ‘tidy-up’.
The AGM unanimously accepted the proposal that the Association should be wound-up. There was more than a little sadness and regret at the need to take this decision: but, if no-one is willing to take up responsibility for running the Association in its present form, it was felt much better to terminate it in full flow, so to speak, than to allow it to degenerate and fizzle out.
We considered the implications of this decision:
1. It was decided to donate our funds to the British Salesians. Currently, we hold some £3,230, although there may both be some further income and some expenses arising from the wind-up. I have been tasked with writing to the Provincial Economer, Fr. Mervyn Williams SDB, recommending that (if required) up to £1,000 of any final sum be devoted to supporting Scottish colleagues in their efforts to launch a less formal version of the Association from their base at Easterhouse, Glasgow; and mentioning some of the endeavours (such as BOVA) which we have supported in the past. However, members do not want any of this money to lie unused for other than a period of one or two years and are entirely happy for the Salesians to decide precisely how it is spent. A copy of my letter to Fr. Williams will be posted on the website in due course, as will a note of the final sum donated following the closure of our bank account at the end of this calendar year. We will also post requisite details for those members who wish to continue paying the amount of current subscriptions, but to devote the money to the Salesians rather than to the now disbanded Association.
2. Mike Kilduff has written to the Shrigley Hotel seeking to perpetuate the current special rate available to ex-students and staff of the College, but has yet to receive a reply. We expect the Hotel to wish to retain the Shields and College photographs which they have displayed for several years, and are content that they should do so though, if at any point they are judged surplus to the Hotel’s requirements, they will revert to the archive. Members should note that, under a covenant which the Salesians hold in relation to all Salesian cemeteries in Britain, the situation of the cemetery at Shrigley is fully catered for.
3. The website will remain live till the end of this calendar year (members may wish to post final notices alongside our final notices), but will then be frozen, though still open to view. A live sub-domain will be established for use by our Scottish colleagues. A DVD or disc of the frozen site will be placed in the archive.
4. Before the Re-Union Mike Kilduff and I opened tentative negotiations with the Cheshire Record Office in Chester for their receipt of our archive on indefinite loan and free of charge: there, the archive will be professionally catalogued, where necessary repaired, and preserved in scientifically-controlled conditions, while being fully accessible (ultimately electronically) to members, their families and other interested parties. The AGM agreed that we should pursue these negotiations and, since then and our visit to the Office, I am glad to report that matters have been moved on very satisfactorily. The archive will shortly be moved to Chester for scrutiny by their archivists. The indications are that they will accept the archive in its entirety, and that we will be able to add material to it in the future. Meanwhile, a copy of Mike’s catalogue will be placed on our website, to be replaced by any future catalogue prepared by the CRO.
There are two interesting postscripts to this item. The CRO holds a good deal of material on the Downes, who owned Shrigley from medieval times till they sold it to the Turners in the early 19th century. Secondly, all Record Offices have remote storage facilities for material which currently, for whatever reason, is not open to access. Our material will be held at the Office in Chester but, uniquely among UK Record Offices, Cheshire’s remote storage facility is in a disused Salt Mine where, apparently, climatic conditions are near-perfect for permanent preservation!
Any further developments in regard to these matters will be reported on the website.
Finally, the AGM expressed warm support for the efforts of Scottish colleagues to continue carrying the Shrigley flag. They go forward with our very best wishes and with a request to keep in touch as best they can.
It only remains for me to re-iterate generous thanks to all those members who have supported our efforts since 1996. Ted Carless and Eric Baggaley set the ball rolling. John Burke and, in particular, Joe Lomax carried things further forward. More recently, Eric returned to (daily) manage our e-mail correspondence and to liaise with our webmaster, Keith Dransfield, who has developed our excellent website. Our best thanks, however, must be reserved for Mike Kilduff: as Archivist he has built up a stunning collection of memorabilia; as Secretary he has provided a series of excellent Newsletters and dealt with a host of enquiries from home and abroad; and he has also been the lynchpin in the organisation of successive Re-Unions. I am probably the only person who knows the full extent of his efforts on our behalf: and so, on your behalf, I pay rich tribute to him.
As for myself, it has been a privilege to serve as your Chairman and I have derived much pleasure and satisfaction from it. Thank-you for providing me with the opportunity.
In our various situations and endeavours, may we all continue to prosper.
Peter Roebuck

The knowledge that this reunion was to be the last one, at which a vote was to be taken on the proposition “To wind up the Association with Immediate Effect”, had the welcome outcome of producing a larger and more varied attendance than we had had for a number of years. Old Boys came from Canada, France, Scotland, Ireland and all parts of England.
The Friday evening buffet at Savio was attended by more participants than usual, though the M6 lived up to expectations and kept a few members from the south from arriving early enough to eat. They consoled themselves, I believe, in the pub at the bottom of the Ingersley Hall drive.
Saturday morning started promptly at 10a.m. with coffee, tea and biscuits in the Cheshire Suite at Shrigley. Members, engaged in loud and animated conversations, had to be called to order by the Chairman, Peter Roebuck, before he could welcome everyone and introduce the first of the three speakers, Fr George Robson, SDB, MBE, who spoke on his 65 years as a Salesian. Few Salesians could have had so many varied postings in such a long and distinguished career.
The Secretary introduced the second speaker, Tony Calway, who spoke on his life after Shrigley. He convinced us that army life had much in common with Shrigley life, with the regime and diet in each registering a dead heat in any comparison.
Webmaster Keith Dransfield introduced the third speaker, John Burke, who, following a successful Creative Writing Course, chose as his theme, most appropriately, and to humorous effect, a line from the school song, “and may thy sons hereafter bring honour to thy name”.
Our special guest at lunch was Louise Davenport, formerly PA to the General Manager at Shrigley. She was a great friend of the Association, and it was she who arranged for the House and Lomas Shields to go on display in the entrance hall at Shrigley.
After lunch, there were group photographs on the steps of the church. The service in the cemetery followed, led by Fr George. The singing of the Requiem and Salve Regina, in Plainchant, was described by some as the finest achieved by the members. Marie Burke’s flowers, so generously provided every year for a decade or more, were laid in remembrance of all whose who lie there.
The Annual General Meeting, at which the proposition to disband was approved, was a long and keenly debated one and the Minutes, below, give a full account of what was said and decided.
After that, leaving Shrigley for Savio for the last time, for dinner and the concert, was a sad occasion for all those present.
Mike Kilduff

Return to Top


Report of the 16th Annual General Meeting of the Shrigley Association
17th September 2011



  1. Agenda
  3. Chairman's Report
  4. Secretary's Report
  5. Treasurer's Report
  6. IT Co-ordinator's Report
  7. Report of Saturday Evening Concert
  8. Photos from the Weekend


1. Welcome & Apologies
2. Minutes of the last AGM
3. Matters Arising
4. Chairman’s Report
5. Secretary & Archivist’s Report
6. Treasurer’s Report
7. Webmaster’s Report
8. Proposal from the Committee:
‘To wind up the Association with Immediate Effect’
9. Implications & Proposals for Arrangements

Return to Top

MINUTES of the 16th Annual General Meeting of the Shrigley Association held on 17th September 2011 at 3.30 pm in the Cheshire Suite, Shrigley Hotel & Country Club.
Prior to the Meeting Paul Barnes made a Presentation to Bro. Donald MacDonald SDB to mark the 60th Anniversary of Bro. Donald’s Profession as a Salesian.  Members congratulated Bro. Donald and wished him Ad Multos Annos.
Br. MacDonald SDB
PRESENT: Paul Barnes, John Burke, John Burnett, Tony Calway, Albert Carette SDB, Ted Carless, Bob Coupe SDB, Terry Devine, Michael Dewane, Joe Doogan, Keith Dransfield, Mike Egan, Charles Garrick, Terry Gerighty, Brendan Gill, Vincent Gill, Bob Hilton, Tom Holden, George Holley, Mike Kilduff, Donald MacDonald SDB, Martin McArthur, Tom McCormick, Frank McGreal, Michael McManus, Ray Mongan, Bernard Murray, Bernard O'Neill, Tony Quinn, George Robson SDB, Peter Roebuck, Peter Stubbs, Lawrence Tucker, Daphne Tucker, Michael Winstanley SDB, Gerry Wright.
APOLOGIES: Eric Baggaley, Tom Bushell, Martin Caine, John Crowshaw, Canice Dooley SDB, Norbert Gough, John King, Joe Lomax, David Murphy, Eddie O'Neil SDB, Bernard Parkes SDB, Paul Pastore, Terry Prendergast, Louis Skehal.

1. The Chairman, Peter Roebuck, opened the Meeting by warmly welcoming members and the Secretary, Mike Kilduff, read the list of Apologies for absence. In noting the latter, the Chairman read out a message from Eric Baggaley, who had managed e-mails for the Association and liaised with the Webmaster over many years. Members remained grateful for his service to the Association.

. The Minutes of the 15th Annual General Meeting in 2010 were agreed as a true record of proceedings.

. There were no Matters Arising from these Minutes.
The Chairman proposed that the Association rule that ‘Only Enrolled Members may vote at AGMs’ be suspended to allow all present at this, possibly final, AGM to vote if they so wished. This was agreed without objection.

The Chairman’s pre-circulated Report was taken as read. Peter stressed the main point: the Scots, who were based at Easterhouse, proposed to run an Association of Shrigley Old Boys with a much less formal structure than at present.

The pre-circulated Report of the Secretary & Archivist was taken as read. Mike McManus proposed a vote of thanks to Mike Kilduff, especially for his work on the Shrigley Archive. This was warmly endorsed. Fr. Michael Winstanley SDB noted that those parts of the Archive which were available on the web, together with the books produced by Peter and Mike, kept memories alive, especially for members overseas.

The pre-circulated Report of the Treasurer was introduced by the Chairman in the unavoidable absence of David Murphy. The two main points were the transfer of Life Membership funds to Subscriptions, and the need to agree on the distribution of Association funds following any dissolution. David Murphy was thanked in his absence for his work on behalf of the Association. Since the main business was the proposal for dissolution of the Association, it was agreed to discuss the disposal of funds as part of item 9, ‘Implications & Proposals for Arrangements’. Mike McManus expressed concern that the Association might be wound up prior to any agreement about the disposal of its funds.

In commenting on his pre-circulated Webmaster’s Report, Keith Dransfield noted that the number of e-mails and material submitted for the web had been considerably fewer than in previous years, but that traffic to the site had been as high as ever. Ted Carless proposed a vote of thanks to the Webmaster, which was agreed.

. The Chairman proposed the motion: ‘To Wind-Up the Association with Immediate Effect’, which was seconded by Bob Hilton. Mike McManus again raised his concern about the disposal of funds. After further discussion, the Chairman proposed the reversal of items 8 & 9, to which the Meeting agreed.

The first implication arising from any wind-up was the disposal of funds. The Chairman noted that the Scots, through their representative, had indicated that they had no wish to receive monies. He therefore proposed that, after meeting possible Committee final expenses, all funds should be donated without strings attached to the British Salesians. Paul Barnes suggested that, because of its close links with the Association, Savio House might be a beneficiary: funds were being sought for ‘Meeting Tents’ for work with Youth Groups. The Chairman advised that, as this and other initiatives were unknown to the Association, it would be better to allow the Salesians to establish priorities. Tony Calway enquired as to what the Association Constitution said about the matter. Members were informed that item 6.7 required all post-Dissolution funds to be donated to a named Charity, which the British Salesians were. Mike Egan asked about the cost of the Website and was assured by Keith Dransfield that there were none. Terry Devine said that the SOBA would be revived in Scotland, and that Bernard O’Neill hoped to organise events south of the Border. Ted Carless asked whether a database of e-mail addresses was available for use by future organisers. Mike Kilduff indicated that a list could be passed on, but Keith Dransfield stressed that, due to Data Protection issues, it could not be made public, e.g. via the Website.
A second implication related to the Association’s excellent relationship with the Shrigley Hotel. Mike Kilduff had asked whether the special rate currently available to members might be continued, and still awaited a reply. Bob Hilton enquired about the continued upkeep of the Salesian Cemetery. Fr. Michael Winstanley SDB hoped that Savio House would continue the care in conjunction with the Hotel who, as Peter noted, had taken their responsibilities seriously as exemplified by their efforts after the storm a few years ago. Fr. George Robson SDB indicated that the British Salesians held a covenant on all Salesian cemeteries in the UK. Gerry Wright suggested using our funds to finance a clean-up. It was pointed out, however, that such an operation would swallow up a large amount and the results would be very short-lived.
A third implication concerned the Association website. Keith Dransfield proposed that the present site format be continued for a few months: but that, following a wind-up, it should be ‘frozen’, with a CD/DVD of its content being added to the archive. The Scots had already enquired about its future use, and it was proposed to set up a ‘sub Domain’ for them. There would be a prominent link to this on the Home Page of the ‘frozen’ site. Thus, any future Association would be able to carry forward current arrangements, controlling the set-up and layout of the sub Domain without any impact, other than the Home Page link, on the present pages. Fr. George Robson SDB indicated that the Salesian Community at Easterhouse was very supportive of efforts to establish SOBA north of the Border.
A fourth implication concerned the Archive collated by Mike Kilduff, mainly from records in Stockport, where the condition of many items had deteriorated. Peter Roebuck outlined the benefits of placing the SOBA archive on indefinite loan in the Cheshire Record Office in Chester. Its facilities offered a free opportunity to preserve the material in scientifically-controlled conditions, where they would be professionally catalogued and readily accessible. Cheshire had expressed considerable interest, although certain details – in particular their definition of artefacts (which they do not accept) – remained to be negotiated. Fr. Michael Winstanley SDB suggested that the Archive of the British Salesians, now at Thornleigh, could be used if nowhere else was available. Mike pointed out that much of the relevant material from there had been scanned and constituted a major part of the Association archive; and it was this material which should be preserved as a unit. A member noted that the Thornleigh Community was willing to accept the archive and Peter agreed that, if Cheshire wished to make a major split of our material, their offer would be refused and the Thornleigh option re-examined – but only as a last resort because of poor conditions for preservation and difficulties of public access. Paddy O’Neill asked about the legal framework governing loans to the Cheshire Record Office and Mike replied that the exact details formed part of continuing discussions with them. In answer to further queries from Bernard O’Neill and Michael Dewane, members were assured that it would be possible to continue to add to the SOBA archive; and that nowadays many catalogues were available online. Peter Roebuck again proposed that, subject to a satisfactory outcome of discussions with Cheshire, the SOBA archive be deposited on indefinite loan in the Record Office, which was accepted without dissent.
Mike McManus argued that the final implication of the wind-up was the disposal of funds, and proposed that they be held in the present account for future use by the Scots in any new Association venture. The Chairman pointed out that, while this notion had featured in the Committee’s original thinking, it was not possible to give money to individuals other than through a properly constituted bank account; and the Scots had specifically excluded such an account. The proposal now was that our funds be handed over to a Charity, the British Salesians, with a request that a significant sum be reserved to support possible Old Boy activities from a new base at Easterhouse. Mike McManus then suggested that a sum, perhaps £1,000, could be given to the Salesian Community at Easterhouse. However, Fr. George Robson SDB, now based at Easterhouse, advised that the funds should be handed over to Salesian Provincial headquarters, and Peter indicated that he would write an appropriate letter on behalf of the Association to accompany the transfer, which was agreed. Terry Devine then proposed that, following the settling of any outstanding Association expenses, the funds be donated to the British Salesians, with no strings attached other than a request that they consider the needs of any new SOBA. Mike McManus seconded the proposal and the motion was passed without dissent.

The Chairman then reverted to item 8 on the agenda and put the Committee’s proposal ‘To wind up the Association with immediate effect’. Bob Hilton seconded the motion, which was accepted unanimously.

A paper from Scottish members, prepared following their meeting on 16 August 2011, was laid before the meeting. Tony Quinn strongly supported its proposals and re-iterated the gratitude of members for all the efforts of the individuals and committees who had worked over many years for different forms of the Association. Noting the informality of the proposed arrangements for a new Association, Tony Calway warned of the need for some individual(s) to assume responsibility, if only for communication. In response Tony Quinn believed that an Association could continue and develop from Easterhouse along the informal lines followed there to date; and that, as members reached retirement age, more time would be available to build a more formal structure. He looked forward to perpetuating the Association’s emphasis on inclusiveness; and re-iterated the invitation to all members to participate in future activities based at Easterhouse, which prompted many expressions of support.
There being no other business, Bob Hilton proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairman, Peter Roebuck, for his work for the Association over the years, which was agreed, whereupon the Chairman concluded the meeting.
Keith Dransfield

Return to Top

As usual, we tried to keep members abreast of developments during the year. Two of the very first generation of Shrigley boys died during the year. Mike Kilduff prepared a notice for the website on Fr. James Walsh SDB, whom some of you will remember was able to join us for the launch a few years ago of The Salesian Cemetery at Shrigley. Having been contacted by his niece, Geraldine McAlinden, there was also a notice about Monsignor Thaddeus (‘Teddy’) Rooney, compiled by our President, Fr. Albert, and myself. May they rest in peace!
There were no formal meetings during the year, but members of your truncated Committee stayed in close touch with each other and attempted to maintain good order with our business. For myself, this included accepting an invitation from Fr. John Dickson SDB to speak in January to his confreres at Farnborough and others involved in his Book Club about Foundation Decade.
There have been three other significant items:
As this was envisaged as our last formal Re-union, we attempted to arrange as attractive a programme as possible, though this was difficult in view of the number of those who were unwilling or unable to participate. We are extremely grateful to those who agreed to speak. If only because he will probably be unwilling to say so himself, I should also point out that Mike Kilduff has again fielded a quite astonishing number of very late requests for accommodation, meals etc.
Following up last year’s AGM, Mike and I travelled to Glasgow in January, where we had a constructive meeting and a very enjoyable weekend with our Scottish colleagues. Although we were always adamant that they should only embark on what they felt was appropriate in their circumstances, we felt able, (following a report of a further meeting among themselves) to indicate on our website that we had good hopes that they would carry the Association forward in something like its present form from a new base at Easterhouse. There was then a hiatus in communication between us, until very recently, when their further report indicated a wish to proceed on a much less formal basis, without a constitution etc. This is entirely their prerogative. They will keep in touch with us and we wish them all the best with their new endeavour.
It also seemed sensible to anticipate some of the implications of dissolution and to present proposals for tidying-up. Keith Dransfield’s generous suggestions in regard to the website are outlined on your agenda, as are our proposals in regard to the disposal of our finances. We will also attempt to maintain our current relationship with the Shrigley Hotel, with its special price per night.
The proposal in regard to the Archive perhaps needs a little further explanation. I who have had such excellent access to the Salesian Archive, do not criticise arrangements at Thornleigh – the Salesians have far greater calls on their income than to devote some of it to the creation of custom-built facilities for their archives.
Yet it is precisely these which are available to us free of charge in Chester at the Cheshire Record Office. All paper archives are in danger of being kept in one of two states: either too damp, in which case they will gradually reduce to pulp; or too dry, in which case they will gradually reduce to dust. The proposal, therefore, is designed to ensure that our archive is preserved forever.
We will let you know the outcome of these various endeavours.
Finally, it has been a privilege to serve as Chairman of the Association and I thank members for giving me the opportunity to do so.
Peter Roebuck
September 2011

Return to Top

IV. Report from Secretary and Archivist 2010-2011
My work as Secretary has been light this year, in view of decisions taken a year ago. After writing the report of last year’s reunion I had fewer calls on my time, as there seemed a general acceptance of the necessity for closure. There was no need to prepare papers for the Glasgow meeting in January as that, unlike meetings of the previous years, did not include a full committee meeting, but had a one item agenda. My role, with the Chairman, was to answer questions raised by the Scottish members who were making moves to discuss their response to the closure, and to listen to their early thoughts on what they might propose as an alternative.
My only newsletter of the year, which would usually have gone out in April, was held over until June, in the expectation of substantive proposals. That letter was brief and much of the space was taken up by details of the programme for the reunion, costs and booking arrangements. The number of printed copies I sent out this year was smaller than for previous letters. Over 250 e-mails went out to inform members when the letter was available for reading on the website.
The work I judged I needed to do as Archivist was more than enough to make up for the lighter secretarial role, and the Archive has been my chief concern for the last year. I am aware that I am the only member of the association who actually knows what it consists of.
As you will see from the small display I have put up for the reunion, I think my first responsibility is to give some idea of what it does consist of. As you will see there is a catalogue of over twenty A4 pages listing the contents.
I sometimes wonder whether ‘archive’ is the right word to describe what has grown from the early collection of letters that was transferred to me from the boot of John Burke’s car. John and Joe Lomax had those letters as they were part of the small group who helped create the Shrigley Association out of the first two modern era reunions set up by Ted Carless and Eric Baggaley.
Letters are now overwhelmed in numbers by photographs, in their printed and in their scanned, digital forms. The Salesians allowed me to scan all their Shrigley albums; many members did likewise. Hence much space is taken up by the ‘contact print’ pages of scanned images. Actual photographs donated by members take up much less space. In the form in which I store those, donations of photographs do not just exist as simply that. Some of them come with endorsements, others with letters. Some, in absolute terms, could be said to be valuable only because of the person who gave them, because of the obvious affection with which they have been stored by their owners over many years.
There are personal accounts of Shrigley life. There is a section called ‘The Roll of Honour’, which is not one completed list of names. Because of the way in which a roll had to be constructed, there being none bequeathed by the Salesians, the scribbled, scrawled, annotated pages left by those who participated in the process are valuable. The process of contribution and collection is more moving than the finished result could ever be.
There are copies of the ‘Salesian Bulletin’ kept only because they contain an obituary notice of a Salesian with a Shrigley connection. There are funeral order of service programmes, sometimes several copies of the same, given by members. These are as important as a record of the donor’s contribution as well as of the name in the programme. There are ‘artefacts’: one a piece of the first sod from the Shrigley Church, a poorly recorded cassette tape of a choir singing in the ‘60s, another of Fr Albert in conversation with John Burke and me.
There are personal papers given for storage, medals and cards and books, newspaper cuttings. There is also the research material that went into the writing of the books published, and much more.
When I said it perhaps should be called something other than ‘archive’ I was thinking that many of the things only have value as part of the whole, and they draw their power from being part of a collection that I think might be appropriately described as a ‘time capsule’ which might be buried somewhere at Shrigley.
As this my last report as Secretary, Archivist, I would like to say that I feel privileged to have helped to put it together and to have been able to use it in displays that I hope have brought back happy memories. I am also particularly pleased that the House and Lomas Shields have found a suitable place for display at Shrigley.
It is now time for the rest of the archive to be taken out of my spare bedroom and put somewhere safe, which at the moment looks like the Cheshire Record Office.

Mike Kilduff
September 2011

Return to Top

V. Report from Treasurer
This year was marked by a lack of economic activity - the only major event was the AGM which ran at a loss. The overall surplus for the year was £381.

Income was down substantially. One cause was the falling away of membership where only 26 people actually paid during the year. Almost all of these were by standing order. Normally I would collect subscriptions at the AGM and at the Glasgow Mass on or about St John Bosco's feast day. For work related reasons I could not attend either of these this year and so subscriptions weren't paid. Normally I would receive about 20 subscriptions this way. As you can see from the Accounts I have transferred the life fund to subscriptions this year. With the demise of the Association it is no longer appropriate to maintain a life fund. Donations have also decreased dramatically.

The AGM, as for previous years had a slight deficit. However because of the lack of costs an overall surplus for the year has been recorded.

After meeting the costs of the 2011 reunion we will have something of the order of £3000 to dispose of and I would suggest that this be donated to BOVA.
Many of you pay by standing order and I would urge you to transfer your standing order to BOVA

The Shrigley Association account will be closed when the Association is formally wound up.

David Murphy
September 2011

Return to Top

VI. Report from IT Co-ordinator
Web Site Statistics 2011
These statistics show a) the number of visits to our site over the last twelve months, b) the top twenty five countries which “visited”. A Visit is just that, someone views at least one page on the site, Page Views shows the number of separate pages viewed and a Hit records a click on some item (e.g. a photo or a link) on the page. Up to Sept this year we had an average of over 15,000 hits per month.

Monthly Visitors


Page Views



September, 2010




October, 2010




November, 2010




December, 2010




January, 2011




February, 2011




March, 2011




April, 2011




May, 2011




June, 2011




July, 2011




August, 2011




September, 2011




Statistics Graph

Geographical Stats


Page Views



United Kingdom








United States








































Cote D'Ivoire
















New Zealand
















Hong Kong




Russian Federation












South Africa




Return to Top

“The Last Night of the Proms”

Over the last few years the Concert in Savio House on the Saturday night of the Annual Reunion has presented an opportunity to relive some of those concerts we used to have at Shrigley even though the most popular item was the “Rector’s item”. They have always been great fun organising and presenting and I have been privileged to MC most if not all of them.

This year was no exception as our harvest of items included some from the BOVA Team who were invited to join us during their training weekend. They actually put on a pantomime- see below. The whole concert lasted about two hours with a “beer break” in the middle. One of the highlights was getting everybody “up Sunshine Mountain” when everybody took part even our genial nonagenarian President, Fr. Albert.

The full programme was as follows:
1. Introduction-as usual this was announced as a “sell-out” with phone calls coming in all week from local residents looking for tickets!
2. The past year-I gave a brief summary of what had happened over the year. One of the saddest was the passing away of my hero Nat Lofthouse whose funeral I attended. Both my heroes are now dead - Nat and Don Bosco.
3. The Pantomime-Cinderella-this “dragged” on a bit with some high-pitched contributions from a dark shaven 6 feet 6 inches volunteer in training. Fr. Martin did a good job as Cinderella – it was a case of “if the shoe fits wear it”
4. Saxophone - James Trewby then did a rendition on his saxophone at the same time promoting his “Musicians weekend” at Savio.
5. Hamlet as you has never heard it before by Tony Quinn.
6. Keith, our webmaster, did his usual monologue on Albert and presented our Albert with a “stick with an ‘orses ‘ead ‘andle” plus a Certificate to commemorate for the occasion.
7. Fr. Michael, former Provincial x two, played his guitar and sang one or two of his favourites.
8. Fr. Joe Brown gave us a choice – English or Italian, being an educated audience we choose Italian and sang all about Bella Polenta! I tried this on the Metro in Madrid for WTD with some Italians from Rome. They refused to sing it saying it was only sung in the North- imagine if we had to live like that – the Southerners would never have caught onto the Beatles songs!
9. Tom Holden told a story or two.
10. Keith sang a song.
11. Sean sang his usual Irish ballad.
12. Martyn sang a song
13. The Scots came out in force and sang a medley including “Flower of Scotland” which some of us politely stood for.
14. Finally, we had Gerry Wright on the guitar-he kept us going for about 15 minutes for a suitable finale to a wonderful concert.

I apologise if I have forgotten anybody.
I would just like to take this opportunity of thanking all the contributors over they years. Your volunteering made my job easy really. Te hardest job was trying to remember which jokes I had told before!

We drank a toast to the ladies in our lives and recalling the Salesian School song (sung earlier in the day at the cemetery service)…”and may thy sons here after bring honour to thy name”…I am sure they will and here’s to when we meet again despite not having a Constitution to go by-we have never needed it to have good Concert!
God bless and take care.

P Barnes

Paul Barnes.

Back to Minutes

Return to Top